Monday, March 24, 2014

Relinquishing Control


We can't always control what happens to us in life.  But we can control how we react to it.

I have been reflecting a lot lately on the reality that we all like control.  We may not admit to it, but we like it; we feel happier when we feel in control, and when we can manage things on our own.  We feel more secure, and we know what is going on, so we have a handle on things, and the feeling of "unknown" doesn't impact us as much during those times.

So much of our lives, though, is out of our own control.

We don't always know what will happen to us every day.

We don't have control over how someone will treat us at work or in our personal lives.

We don't have control over the line at the grocery, or with traffic on our way to and from work.

We don't have control over the weather.

We can't control our parents, our siblings, or our students.

We don't have control over much of what we encounter, day by day.

But I know I CAN choose how I react to the things that happen to me each day.  I can ask God for wisdom, trust Him to guide and direct me, and seek the best in situations each day.

I don't have to choose frustration or anger.

I don't have to feel helpless or lose hope.

Choosing positive reactions when things happen in life takes lots of training and practice.  We must learn how to be content in any and all circumstances.  In my personal life, I trust that God is in control, and that He has my best interest in mind. I may not always understand everything that happens to me, but I can relinquish the need for control of it, because I'm not supposed to control every single thing that happens to me.  That's where faith comes into the picture.  Faith sustains hope, and hope is what carries us into a new day.  Faith strengthens us and gives us perspective.  Faith in God is a certain path to happiness, but my own sense of control is fleeting.  I'm glad that no matter the circumstance, I can have solid reassurance, even when things are unknown.  Knowing Who is in control helps me greatly in life when I feel out of control.

No comments:

Post a Comment