Saturday, March 8, 2014

The Blessing of Friendships


I've been thinking about friendships a lot lately in my life.

I stumbled onto a poem the other day about friends.  I have seen snippets of this poem over time, but I hadn't really taken time to read the poem in its entirety before.  
Some of my friends are definitely lifetime friends.  These are precious and rare. These are people who I've known since childhood, or, maybe they are those I've just met recently, but I know they will be in my life forever.  They are those who have known some of my background in ways that no one else has, or who have come to understand me in ways that others do not.  They will always hold such a special place in my heart, because they know so many of the years that have shaped me into the person I am now, or they understand the depth of my soul, and I theirs, too. I think God places lifetime friends in our lives to be true comforts to us in good times and bad.  They are meant to be a "constant" in life.  For those life-long, forever friends, I am so incredibly grateful.

A few other friends in life seem to be those who are friends for a season or a reason. These friends come into our lives to teach us something, or allow us to teach them. These friends sometimes come swiftly, and they help us to see some life lesson in that time in our lives, or in theirs.  Without these "friends for a season or reason," we may not have learned that important life lesson, or we may not have been able to share a special part of who we are to them.  They are special, and are a blessing, but they may not be lifetime friends.  I don't like losing friends with the seasons.  With my friends, I want to care for them for the long-term, and it is my hope that they want to do the same for me.  But that isn't always God's plan.  These friends are definitely ones we are glad God blessed us with, because our lives are made much richer through their presence.  These friends give us purpose, and help us to become better individuals through their presence.  I am so grateful for these friends in my life as well.  So, for those who are in my life for a season or reason, I'll never forget you, or the blessing you have been in my life.

Friendship is an absolutely precious gift.  I do not take my friends for granted.  I thank God for them every single day.  I always have room to grow, and I find that I want to learn how to love, care for, and serve my friends in better and better ways. To me, there are few things in life that are as important as friendships.

So, take a few moments today, and thank a friend for being in your life.  It will mean the world to them.  

Here is the poem:

People come into your life for a reason, a season or a lifetime.
When you figure out which one it is,
you will know what to do for each person.

When someone is in your life for a REASON,
it is usually to meet a need you have expressed.
They have come to assist you through a difficulty;
to provide you with guidance and support;
to aid you physically, emotionally or spiritually.
They may seem like a godsend, and they are.
They are there for the reason you need them to be.
Then, without any wrongdoing on your part or at an inconvenient time,
this person will say or do something to bring the relationship to an end.
Sometimes they die. Sometimes they walk away.
Sometimes they act up and force you to take a stand.
What we must realize is that our need has been met, our desire fulfilled; their work is done.
The prayer you sent up has been answered and now it is time to move on.

Some people come into your life for a SEASON,
because your turn has come to share, grow or learn.
They bring you an experience of peace or make you laugh.
They may teach you something you have never done.
They usually give you an unbelievable amount of joy.
Believe it. It is real. But only for a season.

LIFETIME relationships teach you lifetime lessons;
things you must build upon in order to have a solid emotional foundation.
Your job is to accept the lesson, love the person,
and put what you have learned to use in all other relationships and areas of your life.
It is said that love is blind but friendship is clairvoyant.

— Unknown

2 comments:

  1. I love this poem too and believe it with all my heart. Your words are so true. We cannot take our friends for granted. Friendship is a real gift from the heart. I have a feeling that we have a friend in common. I was just on FB and saw a comment to Maria Caplin by Melanie Unger. Small world. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the comment, Julie. Yes, we do have a friend in common! Maria is great. Small world, indeed! :)

    ReplyDelete